Old 21-06-2011, 06:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George[_10_] George[_10_] is offline

Default cutting onion (etc) tops?

1. We have some (red) onions growing. I've read
(http://sweetcornorganicnursery.com/s...rge-Bulbs.html
) that cutting the greens produces bigger bulbs. (They have a fairly
elaborate protocol for this.) Is this a universal belief? I'd have
thought that they NEEDED the green part, for the photosynthesis thing. I
do cut off the seed pods, when they develop.

2. Garlic. Everyone says, cut the scapes. So, OK. But, what about
soft neck? Ours don't produce any scapes, at least as I understand
them. Does it help to cut the greens back on these?

3. Shallots. We have some uknown variety, from sets we got from the bin
at a farm store. I've read
(http://www.harvestwizard.com/2009/02..._shallots.html ) that
you CAN cut the greens, but to take care not to cut "new growth from the
central stem." If these shallots have a 'central stem', it's not
obvious to me. I'm wondering if this rule applies to all shallots, or
what's going on.

Any insight on any of these would be appreciated. Thanks.
George