Old 21-06-2011, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods[_2_] Gary Woods[_2_] is offline

Default cutting onion (etc) tops?

George wrote:

Ours don't produce any scapes, at least as I understand
them. Does it help to cut the greens back on these?

No; the leaves make food to make bulbs, just as you thought.
At the risk of starting a holy war:

I've done the experiment a number of times (OK, OK, I always miss a few
scapes), and at my location the garlic with uncut scape is about half size
at maturity compared to bulbs that had their scapes cut and made into
pesto. If you have unlimited soil fertility, there may be less difference.
And letting the scapes mature and produce bulbils is a good way to
propagate a variety without transferring any soil-borne diseases.

Keep an eye on that softneck; sometimes they put up a scape just to mess
with you.