Old 21-06-2011, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default cutting onion (etc) tops?

George wrote:
1. We have some (red) onions growing. I've read
(http://sweetcornorganicnursery.com/s...rge-Bulbs.html
) that cutting the greens produces bigger bulbs. (They have a fairly
elaborate protocol for this.) Is this a universal belief? I'd have
thought that they NEEDED the green part, for the photosynthesis
thing. I do cut off the seed pods, when they develop.

You are right. To get big onions you need to have a healthy plant with lots
of leaves and good roots at the start of its life, when it comes to making a
bulb it then has the energy to make a big one. This doesn't mean feeding
them on lots of nitrogen as all you will get then is big tops.

David