Old 22-06-2011, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default OT English System vs Imperial System of Measure

"Nad R" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Nad R" wrote in message

As the old saying goes: "Two Countries divided by a common language"
In the US we call it the "English System of Measurements". The UK calls
it
the "Imperial System".

No it's not. An Imperial Pint has 20 fl ounces.

I have traveled to Canada on occasion. Canada uses the Imperial Gallon as
4.5 liters. Where the US Gallon is 3.7 liters for gasoline containers.

So can I assume we both learned something here?

Well I would have thought that you'd already know about Imperial measures.
I was very surprised to find that you didn't.

You now know what the English System is now?

Yep, but I certainly will never use such a term. It's what I've always
called US measurements as they relate to Pints and Gallons. Other measures
used by USians are Imperial but for some unknown reason they are not called
that in the US.

And that we both need to be conscious of the English vs Imperial
differences?

I always have been conscious of those differences and use my knowledge of
those differences on a regualar basis.

I am a keen cook so since sometime in the 1970s, I have always needed to
know if I'm dealing with an old Imperial recipe or a US recipe (although I
rarely cook any modern US recipes).

In addition, the only manufacturers of measuring jugs with ounce measures
notated on them these days are US manufacturers. Wwhenever I use one of my
big measuring jugs that tries to tell me that a Pint only contains 16
ounces, I tell it that it's being parochial and I might possibly want to use
the 20 ounce Pint. It never manages to see the error of it's way though and
insists that 16 ounce Pint is the only option.

In the US every day life people use the English System. In the Science
Arena is the only area in the US that uses the Metric System in which I am
also familure with.

But as you stated you seem to use a mixed system, Celsius for temperature
and inches for measurement. Is this common to mix it up in your part of
the
world?

It's not a 'mix up' as I explained in an earlier post. It's two different
systems used in parallell by older people who grew up under an earlier
system and who had to learn to use a new system, but who have not yet died
out leaving the only a younger generation who knows only the new system.

Here in the US the two systems are separate, no mix. It is one or
the other.

Perhaps in the future I should use the term "Gallon:US" and others us
"gallon:UK"

That should be Imperial Gallon. The UK is only one place on the globe that
uses that form of meaure.

So in your part of the world, do you have Five Gallon Buckets? if so I
wonder what the size difference is.

When I see a US site that refers to 5 gallon buckets, I know exactly what
size they are referring to - its a 20 litre bucket although you'd never want
to put a full 20 litres of liquid into it. More common here for household
use in the 9 litre bucket which would hold 10 litre is filled right to the
brim but it would be ineffective to do so.