Old 22-06-2011, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Garden visitor

"Nad R" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Doug Freyburger" wrote in message
Ruben wrote:
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Last night we found a garden visitor - a fully grown wombat who let me
pat
him on the head. I didn't think to take a picture.

What is a wombat?

A marsupial that is not a possum, so that limits his continent to
Australia and it's islands.

As opposed to the multiple varieties of Australian possums which aren't
the
same thing at all as US possums.

One would never ever try to pet a US Possum... They are mean with razor
sharp teeth.

Aussie possums probalby also have sharp teeth but I've not heard of anyone
being bitten (although I'm sure it would have happened).

Friends had some significant domestic disbliss in their house with all
members of the house accused of eating the best pieces of fruit from the
fruit bowl before anyone else could have any with furious denials and
counter accusations all round.

After some time, it turned out that the fruit bowl, which used to sit on a
table just under an opened unscreened window 2 floors up (in the Aussie
tropics), was visited regularly by a possum who ate the best bits.

Another friend whose lady left him and who suffered severe loneliness as a
result, took to divering himself by taming a local possum mother and her
baby. He took to having dessert on his back deck where he would sit eating
his fruit and laying out a slice on the floor for the possum until she
became so tame that she'd take it from his hand.

They are very, very cute animals until one has one in the ceiling cavity or
attacking one's fruit. At that stage murder is a good option.