Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Scott Rogahn

Default Which florescent tubes for DIY hood

I just competed my new hood using 4 18 inch 15 watt tubes, for a total of
60 watts over 20 gallons. I will reuse the Pen Plax ultra from my old
hood. I also have two Phillips Plant and Aquarium bulbs, which I bought
from Home Depot with the rest of the supplies for the project. I don't
really care for the pinkish light produced by the Plant and Aquarium bulbs
so I may replace them with some thing else. So I need to buy 1 to 3 new
tubes for a moderately planted tank.

To spare the poor fish from a sudden blast of light in the morning the bulbs
are wired as two pair each with there own timer. One pair will turn on
about 2 hours before the other pair. One pair will also turn off 2 hours
before the other. Sort of a dawn to noon to dusk effect.

What type of tubes would be recommend for this? If it's a mixture of bulbs
which should turn on first and off last.

BTW I do not inject CO2. That may be the next project. I do use flourish,
flourish trace and flourish iron.

Thanks
Scott