Old 22-06-2011, 09:15 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koilady Koilady is offline

Default which fish ??

On May 24, 11:18*am, zuhayr-123
wrote:
hi everyone,
im new to this forum and for my 1st question i would like to ask, which
fish or which species of fish sould i keep. the pond is 8ft long, 4ft
wide and 2ft deep (maybe 3ft depends if i want to go deeper or not)

generally im looking for:
-fish that are quite hardy and would hopefully last in the winter
-fish that instantly catch the eye
-and fish that are really playfull (i'd love to feed them from my hand
:P)

aslo i'd be greatfull if someone could give me a few websites that sell
pond fish just incase i dont find what im looking for in the centeres

plan to buy a uv filter and strong pump generally top of the range
equipment aparantly

will be very greatfull if anyone could reply
thanks in advance !!

--
zuhayr-123

Hi Zuhayr. My favourite pond fish is the Koi but when taking care of
these beautiful creatures the most important thing that you can do for
them is to provide the best filtration possible. We've been building
our own for years and I've got some great pictures on how to make
one, If you want a pond with only a couple of fish and mostly
plants, I would stick to one or two Goldfish to eat up the mosquito
population or if your Aquarium Stores have Rosey Reds, they are a
great small fish and can survive winters.
If you want Koi and/or Goldfish and lots of them, u.v. sterilizers and
barley straw are only quick fixes and give the ponder a false sense of
security as far as, "If the water is clear, it must be healthy", and
this is not the case. A good bio-filter, larger enough for the size
of the pond and fish in it is what is really necessary.
Also, as Bob suggested, it must be a good sized pond.

www.agardenwithwater.com is a good site.
I belong to the Forest City Pond Club @ www.forestcitypondclub.com
in London Ontario Canada

Yours Koily, Lorraine