Old 23-06-2011, 09:07 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
Ray's impression of them
is that they root less deeply in UK because of our much wetter climate.
My own experience of them in a former, walled, Jersey garden is that they blew over rather easily, so I do wonder how bad a root problem there is in Britain.
But they are still going to be as aggressive in sucking the water out of a clay soil as the most aggressive native tree.
A common reason for Eucs blowing over is that they are left to grow on in a pot for too long before being planted out. They become pot-bound very quickly and it affects their root structure for the rest of their life, unless you are very rigorous about carefully untangling and spreading out the roots. They should be put in the ground small. Another reason is misguided staking of the tree. See Cultural information for growing Eucalyptus in cool climates