Old 23-06-2011, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Eucalyptus question

On Jun 23, 7:29*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
A friend and neighbour of mine arrived home yesterday evening with a
Eucalytpus. *I'm not sure which one, but it's one of those whose young
foliage is round.

She wants to plant it in front of her sitting room window on the site of
a dead Cordyline. *She intends to keep it as a low shrub so it doesn't
exclude light. *So far, no problem. *Unfortunately, her chosen planting
site is about 1m (3ft) in front of the house. *I was alarmed. *I have
always believed that Eucalypts were drain-strangling foundation-wreckers,
and advised her to think again. *Am I right? *Even if she keeps it
trimmed, I would have thought the roots would be too invasive. *I don't
want to spoil her plans, but she doesn't want to harm her house, either.