Old 23-06-2011, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Ohio food status

"DogDiesel" wrote:
I talked to a Commercial farmer today at the green house. And he said he
doesn't see a food shortage crisis. But food prices are definitely going up.
As soon as the demand starts at harvest time. Its because of the rain. Its
the corn, soy, grain, that's hit hard. Here.

The green house sales are down too because people aren't buying much.
Saying that I was afraid I waited too long to plant my garden. But its
probably too early. All I've put in is leaf lettuce, onions , about a month
ago. And I put in Corn yesterday. Because it got over two feet tall in my
house. under grow lights.

But nothing else yet.

Corn under grow lights, why bother?

The only vegetables i grow indoors are peppers and tomatoes because they
need more than a hundred days of temperatures about fifty degrees. Most
veggies will go from seed to harvest in under a hundred days in Michigan.
From frost to frost in Michigan is about one hundred days. For everything
else the seeds go directly into the ground.

Things here in my part of Michigan seems to shaping up nicely. I would say
the heavy rains last month has delayed planting by three weeks. The last
two weeks of no rain was great and provided time for things to dry out. The
rain in the last two days was just in time. I have everything planted and
this morning the corn, green beans and cucumbers sprouted from the ground
and looking nicely. From the weather it looks like occasional showers for
next few days... Yes. Rain barrels full again.

When I went to the local green house I was surprised to see so many plants
for sale during mid June. Typically they have next to nothing this time of
year. The reason they did not buy here was because of the relentless rain
during the month of May. The green houses was packed with people last week.
Just a three week delay is my guess for veggies. I just hope for late
frost. An early frost could hurt because of the late plantings.