Old 23-06-2011, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Eucalyptus question

On 23/06/2011 12:00, Jake wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:40:54 +0100, wrote:

A friend and neighbour of mine arrived home yesterday evening with a
Eucalytpus. I'm not sure which one, but it's one of those whose young
foliage is round.

She wants to plant it in front of her sitting room window on the site of
a dead Cordyline. She intends to keep it as a low shrub so it doesn't
exclude light. So far, no problem. Unfortunately, her chosen planting
site is about 1m (3ft) in front of the house. I was alarmed. I have
always believed that Eucalypts were drain-strangling
foundation-wreckers, and advised her to think again. Am I right? Even
if she keeps it trimmed, I would have thought the roots would be too
invasive. I don't want to spoil her plans, but she doesn't want to harm
her house, either.

I would be most grateful for your opinions, urglers all.

I'm told that the age of the building can make a major difference. If
the house is more than 30-40 years old, then a minimum of 6 metres is
recommended. It's because of the way foundations have changed since
then - they are now stronger and better able to cope with invading
roots and ground moisture loss (and eucalyptus is a very thirsty
being). ISTR that, in addition, eucalyptus can be very combustible in
dry weather.

Thank you so much, everyone! You've told me exactly what I need to
know. David, I will tell her about the possibility of pot culture, but
I think she feels it must be in the ground, so your "NO WAY" seems to
fit in with the general concensus.

I did wonder (aloud and in her presence) whether some judicious root
pruning would help, but I think that sounded too technical for her and,
since one or two of you have suggested that root damage is especially
harmful for Eucs, I'd now say that's a no-no, too.

She is a very sensible lady and will heed all the warnings and, indeed,
be grateful for them, so thanks once again.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London