Old 24-06-2011, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default chlorinated swimming pool water

"lannerman" wrote in message

I have a friend with an indoor swimming pool who uses a lightly
chlorinated system. Every so often he has to back wash the filter and he
uses this back wash water to irrigate a very mature woodland garden!
Does anyone know wether or not this slightly chlorinated water would
harm existing very mature Rhododendrons and Camellia's ?? I would be
very grateful for your comments.
thanks, Lannerman.

--
lannerman

This quote from someone who has a chemists background was in response to
disposing of water from a hot tub but goes someway toward answering your
query

"No experience of hot tub water but swimming pool water is OK on the garden
once you have "killed all the free chlorine"so I assume the same applies to
Bromine systems. Adding a bit of sodium thiosulphate (Hypo) will kill the
free bromine and make it safe for use.
Putting a bit of dirt in the pool will also kill chlorine/bromine or how
about some dirty washing
On a different note I have my doubts as to whether a hot tub really needs
refilling as often as the suppliers of the expensive chemicals suggest but I
suppose it depends on the usage and the "type" of people who use it and what
they do in it. "

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs