Old 24-06-2011, 11:58 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Corin View Post
Thanks. Our garden is pretty exposed, so plants don't tend to reach full height, but I'll watch out anyway. Any suggestions? Scented and very tough would be good.
No, I can only tell you the ones to avoid!

Kiftsgate, obviously.
Rambling Rector - I've seen that completely bury a bigger apple tree than yours.

Three that we have that haven't proved totally overwhelming:

Pauls Himalayan Musk has a good scent and masses of tiny pink flowers. I don't know how high it goes - we have it doing a very good job of covering a 15ft length of fence.

Emily Gray - apricot coloured flowers and a lovely apple scent. I can't remember where I planted it, but 15 years later its flowers are appearing high in a Sorbus and high in a Crataegus about 15ft away, as well as along the fence in between.

Alister Stella Grey is a creamy yellow one (smaller flowers than Emily Grey, in larger bunches) which seems unkillable.