Old 25-06-2011, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan Kate Morgan is offline

Default Introduction

..

snip

This summer's plans: husband is felling another windbreak so that we can
replant with something more attractive. Meanwhile I'm planning the new
windbreak planting, admiring a new bed I just planted, and dreaming
about a willow garden beyond the fruit trees in a hollow.

Laura,

welcome - sounds as though you have a lot of scope to experiment.

One thing - leylandii do have a lot of bad press but they do make very good
windbreaks.
Do you really want to replace an evergreen windbreak with a deciduous
windbreak?
I would have thought you would need the protection over winter at least as
much as in the summer and they do make a very dense high hedge.

Cheers

Dave R
I agree with Dave R re. Leylandii making a very good windbreak, we have a
row of old ones and they provide brilliant shelter, I would not be without
them.

kate