Old 25-06-2011, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Introduction

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...

.

snip

This summer's plans: husband is felling another windbreak so that we can
replant with something more attractive. Meanwhile I'm planning the new
windbreak planting, admiring a new bed I just planted, and dreaming
about a willow garden beyond the fruit trees in a hollow.

Laura,

welcome - sounds as though you have a lot of scope to experiment.

One thing - leylandii do have a lot of bad press but they do make very
good
windbreaks.
Do you really want to replace an evergreen windbreak with a deciduous
windbreak?
I would have thought you would need the protection over winter at least as
much as in the summer and they do make a very dense high hedge.

Cheers

Dave R
I agree with Dave R re. Leylandii making a very good windbreak, we have a
row of old ones and they provide brilliant shelter, I would not be without
them.

The problem with Leylandii is they are often planted in inappropriate
places, small gardens where they get out of control and they do get very bad
press. Laura sounds like she has plenty of room for them and they are
effective windbreaks.
I have some Lawson's cypress, which are similar and I love them. They are
brilliant for birds to nest in and goldcrests love them too.
I agree with Dave and Kate. I'd definitely keep them in a garden of that
size.

Tina