Old 26-06-2011, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default UK Native Species

In message , iliveinazoo
writes

Hello Everybody,
Is there a list of common UK Native garden plants around?

I'll soon be moving into a new house with a half decent sized garden and
I'd like to landscape it with species native to the UK but I've really
got no idea where to start, I'll be needing short trees or shrubs less
than 3 metres tall and flowering plants. Preferably I'd like the garden
to flower throughout the year without having to plant annuals year after
year.

There are not many large shrubs and trees native to the British Isles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trees_o...in_and_Ireland

There are smaller shrubs, such as heather, several Ericas, Dabeocia, bog
myrtle, montane willows, dwarf birch, bilberry, cowberry, crowberry and
bearbeary. If I recall correctly mezereon and spurge laurel are native.
Also broom, gorse (common, western and dwarf), red and blackcurrant, and
gooseberry, wayfaring tree and guelder rose, bramble and raspberry, and
burnet, field and dog roses, and sweet briars.

Any ideas or links for inspiration would be great.

Cheers

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley