Old 26-06-2011, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hugh hugh is offline

Default chlorinated swimming pool water

In message , Charlie Pridham
writes

"lannerman" wrote in message

I have a friend with an indoor swimming pool who uses a lightly
chlorinated system. Every so often he has to back wash the filter and he
uses this back wash water to irrigate a very mature woodland garden!
Does anyone know wether or not this slightly chlorinated water would
harm existing very mature Rhododendrons and Camellia's ?? I would be
very grateful for your comments.
thanks, Lannerman.

-- lannerman

This quote from someone who has a chemists background was in response
to disposing of water from a hot tub but goes someway toward answering
your query

"No experience of hot tub water but swimming pool water is OK on the
garden once you have "killed all the free chlorine"so I assume the same
applies to Bromine systems. Adding a bit of sodium thiosulphate (Hypo)
will kill the free bromine and make it safe for use.
Putting a bit of dirt in the pool will also kill chlorine/bromine or
how about some dirty washing
On a different note I have my doubts as to whether a hot tub really
needs refilling as often as the suppliers of the expensive chemicals
suggest but I suppose it depends on the usage and the "type" of people
who use it and what they do in it. "

The "expensive" chemicals are designed to reduce the frequency of
refilling. It's necessary to maintain the pH within reasonable limits
and also dose regularly with chlorine. There have been cases reported of
legionnaires disease due to poorly maintained hot tubs (or was it just
the threat of it reported)

Much depends on what's on the skin in terms of other chemicals of the
people who use it.
--
hugh