Old 27-06-2011, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Which is the best mailorder for vegetable Seeds etc

"Derald" wrote in message
m...

songbird wrote:

...they all assume we want
their junk mail. even when we tell them
that we don't want to get any, that we don't
want to be on their list it seems they'll
ignore the request and then sell it to
everyone they can.

Exactly so. I don't like the presumption that just because I've placed a
small order, I want to be their friend.

every time i use the credit card with a
new company i shudder at what i might be
setting in motion.

I know what you mean but DW&I don't do that. Each of us has a small
checking account in a completely separate bank from savings and primary
checking
accounts. We use the debit cards that are linked to those respective
accounts
exclusively for online purchases, automatic subscription renewals, and the
like
and transfer funds into it only when they're needed. Contrary to popular
myth
"brand name" debit/check cards carry precisely the same guarantees (and
some
offer the same cash-back deals) as their brand-name credit counterparts. I
know
from experience that, in case of a disputed transaction, the funds are
replaced
until it's resolved. At any rate, if someone wants to steal the card
number and
get access to that account, he ain't gonna get much cash or screw up my
credit.
It seems that it would be simple enough to establish a credit card account
with
a sufficiently low limit to protect oneself from disaster and reserve it
for
special purposes such as online purchases.
Ah, well. Now you know my pet peeve. Let's get back to gardening and let
this branch die, if you will.
--
Derald
FL USDA zone 9a

I agree, let it die. As a former adjuster I must say that you are only
liable for the first $500 in fraudulent charges on your credit card and your
homeowners should cover that.