Old 27-06-2011, 02:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_3_] Ian B[_3_] is offline

Default Early Potatoes

Bob Hobden wrote:
Now everyone is eating their early potatoes how are they?
What do you think of the varieties you grew for growth and taste?

We grew Inova and Printaline this year and must say we are rather
impressed, probably the best early pototoes we have ever grown for
yield, tuber quality/shape and flavour and that says a lot as we try
different varieties every year. When the potatoes were still small we
were getting over 3lb from each plant and the last Inova we dug up we
got over 5lbs although they are beginning to get large, still taste
nice though. The Printalines seem to have stayed smaller, more like
new potato size.
So please let us know how your varieties have done?

Four stragglers left in the soil have come up this year from my potato
experiment last year.

Strangely (at least to me) they just stopped growing once they were a few
inches tall. and now they're just sitting there looking pretty much the same
day after day instead of burgeoning into vines like last year. No idea why.
I keep meaning to dig one up and see what's going on underground. Probably
nothing much

Do very small "seed" potatoes (the little blighters missed when I dug up
last year's crop, basically) just have insufficient capacity to produce a
full plant? I would have thought once they get going, they'd root and the
size of the seed potato wouldn't matter, in my amateurish ignorance.

Or have I invented the bonsai potato?

Ian