Old 27-06-2011, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Bessy will become beef soon :(

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:26:54 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"Nad R" wrote in message
enigma wrote:
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in
u:

I'm sorry to hear that Bessie didn't work out. Dairy cows aren't
supposed to make good beef so I'd be interested to hear a report
on the product once you get aroudn to eating some of it.

most of the mince in the US is old dairy cows... it's cheap.

Bessy is in the freezer. I have not had any of the beef yet. But bessy was
less than two years old. I think the beef will be fine. Perhaps a little
longer on the marinade.

When it comes to meat, the age of the animal from which it comes really
doesn't ahve a lot to do with how good the beef is - it's all about breed
(and Bos type).

Actually you have it exactly opposite... feed being equal breed
matters very little but age determines tenderness and flavor. Older
beef is tougher and more strongly flavored... also the fat in older
beef is no longer white but tends to yellow which adds a gamy flavor.
With older beef less tender cuts can be tenderized with braising and
grinding but the more desireable cuts from the rib and loin that
typically become tender steaks and roasts will be negatively affected
and after about three years will attain a liverish flavor. The USDA
grading system mandates that no beef over two years can be awarded the
Prime designation.