Old 27-06-2011, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
j[_2_] j[_2_] is offline

Default Hanging a Fern

I've got a north facing shady screened porch (7b Piedmont). I'd like
to hang 6 ferns off that. Not sure what I got, but they are tallish
until they droop over, and are cold hardy. They are root bound in one
gallon pots.

Does it need deep or wide? Can I plant this in mostly peat? I may make
the containers. I have a good bit of 6" wide cypress as well as some old
copper screen and I'm not in the mood to throw $60 or so in pots (though
I may give in). Perhaps fold a basket out of the screen, stuff it with
peat and I'm not sure what else. Hang it on the drip line. Should I be
thinking coconut mat?

Ideas?

jeff