Old 27-06-2011, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default How do you weed?

On 27/06/2011 08:56, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Laura Corin" wrote

- do you spray deep-rooted perennials or try to dig them up again and
again?

Yes, no point in trying to dig up bindweed etc as the roots go down too
deep and one piece will start a new plant, you will just spread it
around by digging. Also weeds in places you can't get to easily, next to
rabbit fences, behind compost bins... are best sprayed rather than being
left to seed.

Depends how careful you are. Hitting bindweed or ground elder with
glyphosate first and then a couple of weeks later digging out as much as
you can get is more effective than either method on its own. Weakened by
the effects of weedkiller the root fragments are less likely to make new
plants. And if you force the much deep roots to make 8" of new growth
from reserves before they can see the light again and mercilessly hit
any green shoots that appear it will quickly give up the ghost.

- do you compost your annual weeds? If so, how do you identify/separate
perennials for the bin?

Yes, of course. I just know what to and what not to compost, basically
it's just Bindweed on our allotment which we leave out to dry out or
take home for the bin.

I have never known the tops of bindweed to regrow. The roots must be
sundried before they are ok to compost unless your heap runs very hot.

- do you mulch to reduce regrowth? If so, what do you use and how much
reduction do you get?

That is what the hoe does. Until it rains again.

I prefer a small fork and a 10" screwdriver for extracting deep rooted
weeds in tight spaces amongst shrubs.

Regards,
Martin Brown