Old 27-06-2011, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default UK Native Species

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 08:19:53 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , kay
writes

iliveinazoo;927920 Wrote:
Hello Everybody,
Is there a list of common UK Native garden plants around?

I'll soon be moving into a new house with a half decent sized garden and
I'd like to landscape it with species native to the UK but I've really
got no idea where to start, I'll be needing short trees or shrubs less
than 3 metres tall and flowering plants. Preferably I'd like the garden
to flower throughout the year without having to plant annuals year after
year.

Any ideas or links for inspiration would be great.

Cheers

A Google search for suppliers of wild flower seeds should cover the
flower bits for you. And mixed hedges of UK native species are
frequently specified by Council Planning Offices, so another search
should get hold of a list of these. Most of the hedge species will be
short trees and shrubs.

If you can't find anything else, get hold of a flora - I recommend one
of those by Fitter et al - and flick through for the more showy species.
There are many perennial species worth a place in the garden - field,
bloody, wood cranesbills; primrose, oxlip, cowslip, foxglove, melancholy
thistle (which isn't prickly at all), scabious, bluebell, ramsons, lily
of the valley, snakeshead fritillary, wild daffodil, red and white
campion, ragged robin, purple and yellow loosetrife,, marsh marigold -
that's without really thinking.

Wood anemone, hemp agrimony, tansy, yarrow, sneezewort, dames violet.

Thrift, sea campion, birds-eye primrose, honeysuckle, traveller's joy,
sweet cicely, spignel

....persiflage, acrimony, miscue, verruca, swingletree, galantine,
cross ruff...

--
Mike.