Old 28-06-2011, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How do you weed?

"Laura Corin" wrote in message

'Charlie Pridham;928087' Wrote:

I am an untidy and lazy gardener, we do very little weeding during the
summer hoping that the winter work and mulch will keep things under
control.

Can you tell me what your winter work and mulch routine looks like? I
like the sound of minimal weeding with a glass of wine!

Thanks

Laura

In the winter we move along the various areas, cutting back the perennials
and clematis and putting them through the shredder, any bramble and ivy is
removed at this time as it is now obvious where it is. The soil surface is
disturbed as little as possible and certainly not dug. the shredded material
is placed back on the top of the soil and supplemented with bags of
shreddings from the summer hedge cuttings that have been artfully hidden
until needed. Come spring our daily wanderings will spot any outbreaks of
perennial weeds like bindweed which is hit with round up on dry days before
all the other plants get big.
Annual weeds like fireweed do appear, here the trick is to remove same
before they seed but generally after a few years the amount of weed is very
small and easily dealt with on our wine drinking tours!

You should not be able to see any soil by this time of year, that way if you
have weeds you can't see them and can enjoy the garden

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs