Old 28-06-2011, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fuschia[_3_] Fuschia[_3_] is offline

Default Soil Analysis

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:18:13 +0100, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

Can anyone one recommend where I can get a complete and thorough soil
analysis done, it is for use on a bit of land that was an orchard in the
past but is now needed for animals.

kate

Why do you think it needs a complete and thorough soil analysis done?
- they can be incredibly expensive depending on how many potential
contaminants you want looked for at how many replicates over the site
and at what trace level. If you have reason to suspect actual
contamination then it makes sense to test specifically for eg arsenic.

If you were on a brownfield site like an old gasworks or a yard used for
railway sleepers or CCA treated timber then it would make sense.

A quick and dirty test is grow some mustard and cress in a soil sample
and look out for any abnormalities.

Thank you all for your interest and comments.
Horses have been put into the paddock in question in the past and have been
unwell, removed and they recover. This has happened once more. The paddock
is looked after, weeds removed droppings picked up etc, I know because I do
it.
I have never heard of the mustard and cress test, I will try it.
Thanks

What you say about the horses is worrying. If the land had been used
as an orchard for any years, there could be traces of old insecticides
eg DDT. That would build up in the soil if used annually, and would
affect animals grazing there now. It would not show up in the mustard
and cress test.