Old 28-06-2011, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Starting a new veg plot.

Timmy T wrote:
Hi,

I'm just starting a veg patch which is about 5m square in the corner of
the garden, but I'm not sure what to do with the turf I've cut.

Shall I skip it or rotavate it into the area I've taken it from along
with well rotted manure from the dung heap?

Many thanks,

TT

Can you just turn it upside-down and plant over it? (I assume you
don't have bermudagrass over there)

If I ever start a new garden plot from turf again, I plant to spray it
one time with glyphosate (Roundup or equivalent), mow it short when
the grass starts to die, and then disturb the soil as little as
possible when I plant. Mulch heavily at least the first year to keep
the weeds from taking over, and let the earthworms do all the hard
work turning the soil. That first year I probably won't be able to
direct sow anything; just use transplants.

Tilling new ground among other things wakes up dormant weed seeds in
the soil.

-Bob