Old 28-06-2011, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Anyone have the flying ants invasion yesterday?

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:33:18 +0100, Phil Cook

On 2011-06-28 15:00:31 +0100, said:

Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing
like as many as last year, thankfully.

We've seen a very few but didn't see any last year. I never know if
flying ants and ordinary ants are two different species, or if flying
ants are ants that have developed wings to go and find a new nest site!

Flying ants are ordinary ants, just a different caste. They are the
males and females that get to do a nuptial flight. After they have done
it the males die and the females start a new colony.

Some tropical species are edible. In the Sudan, the trick is to make a
fire by the mouth of the nest, so the ants are simultaneously lightly
grilled and dewinged, so they crash conveniently.

I DO know that once you get ants inside an old wall or something of
that sort, you have them forever!

There are poisons that kill whole colonies.

--
Mike.