Old 28-06-2011, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Anyone have the flying ants invasion yesterday?

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:00:31 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing like as
many as last year, thankfully.

I'd have thought it was a bit early for "flying day" - you know that
day when every ants nest in the country manages a co-ordinated
explosion of flyers.

But that said, this year ants have been surprisingly thin on the
ground here. I've only found one smallish nest in a lawn - usually
I'll have got through a few tubes of ant powder by now. I've also been
very low on green- and black-fly this year - I wonder if there's some
relationship, given that ants farm aphids.

Lots of ladybirds and hoverflies though.