Old 28-06-2011, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ornamental knotweed

On 28/06/2011 20:44, clive wrote:
Hi

I'd like to get some Japanese Knotweed as an ornamental plant for the
garden.

I know people have run into difficulties if they let it get out of
control, so to forestall any problems I'd plan to grow it in a large pot,
or possibly a raised bed.

Besides making sure it doesn't set seed and pruning regularly to keep it
in check, are there any other gotchas to bear in mind?

Cheers

Clive

There are ornamental varieties that aren't invasive thugs like the
infamous illegal variety that is invading the UK and elsewhere. We've
got one here in our garden in France, bought from a garden centre. The
stems are the same shade of red but they are a lot thinner and it only
grows to around 3 feet high, forming an attractive clump. It dies back
each Winter. Quite pretty. I've got no plans to get rid of it but can't
vouch for how easy or otherwise that would be anyway! LOL

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.