Old 29-06-2011, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Starting a new veg plot.

zxcvbob wrote:
Timmy T wrote:
Hi,

I'm just starting a veg patch which is about 5m square in the corner
of the garden, but I'm not sure what to do with the turf I've cut.

Shall I skip it or rotavate it into the area I've taken it from along
with well rotted manure from the dung heap?

Many thanks,

TT

Can you just turn it upside-down and plant over it? (I assume you
don't have bermudagrass over there)

If I ever start a new garden plot from turf again, I plant to spray it
one time with glyphosate (Roundup or equivalent), mow it short when
the grass starts to die, and then disturb the soil as little as
possible when I plant. Mulch heavily at least the first year to keep
the weeds from taking over, and let the earthworms do all the hard
work turning the soil. That first year I probably won't be able to
direct sow anything; just use transplants.

Tilling new ground among other things wakes up dormant weed seeds in
the soil.

Carefully removing the sod (sod cutters are GOOD) removes the majority of weed
seeds.