Old 28-06-2011, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Ornamental knotweed

In message , Spider
writes

Jake is quite right. It *is* illegal to plant it/introduce it. I have
it across the rear boundary from me, threatening my garden and my
property. It *will* escape your pot..any pot..any garden, so my advice
is to follow the law and not plant it.

I have witnessed how it can spread in a local country park, and it is
impossible for the wardens to contain it, as staff cuts had already been
made, and more are threatened due to government cuts.

They are supposed to inject it with a killer (subject to licence, I
believe), but it is overwhelming parts of the park, and the volunteers
cannot assist with this chore.

When I walked around the gardens at Quarry Bank Mill in Cheshire I
spotted some in one of the flower/shrub beds, and commented to one of
the volunteer staff that it was an unfortunate idea!

She was unaware of its presence...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply