Old 29-06-2011, 07:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Bessy will become beef soon :(

Nad R wrote:
My gardening years ago was terrible, many of my trees died, plants with
diseases, did I know why... No. However I did have successes, but could not
replicate them and did not really know why. I have read many books on
gardening and that was helpful, but still things did not go well as I
hoped. My gardening skills took off after taking a few classes on
gardening.

the unfortunate thing about experience is that
it takes time and then kills all it's pupils.

Books alone does not always help. It is the combination of hardware and
software is where knowledge is improved. The gardeners has its tools
(hardware) and software(seeds and plants). Cooking also has tools (Oven)
and software (Ingredients).

books are a good starting point, but
in the end actual experience of getting
your hands in the dirt, observing the
plants, bugs, weeds, animals, weather, etc.
is what pays off.

first time gardeners freak out over a
chewed leaf or a bent stem and have to
"DO SOMETHING" about it. seasoned gardeners
know that sometimes the best answer is to
leave it alone.

My cooking and canning is like my gardening years ago... blah, I may take a
local class for cooking someday, Not be the a Top Chef. Like gardening to
improve the quality of life.

i've cooked since i was a kid. i'd
probably enjoy teaching someone to cook
and thought about offering lessons to
beginners. nothing fancy or expensive
but to get a person going and comfortable
with simple tasks.

I am a kid in a candy store of life. I want to sample everything:
Chess club (expert), Electronics (Associate Degree), Computer Programming
(Masters Degree), Amateur Radio (General Class), Guitar Lessons (No talent,
was bad), Ballroom Dancing (Arthur Murray and other places 4 years of fun),
Karate Lessons, Gardening (Master Gardening Volunteer Program) and
possibly cooking lessons may be in the future. My neighbors help provide
knowledge for my hobby farm.

good neighbors are wonderful. i'm like
you, tried a lot of things. i even know how
to sew (which is not many guys would admit)
and have my own machine. i wanted to learn
how to tat sometime, not yet...

i have troubles with formal classes in that
most cost $ and my body and learning styles
don't do well in them compared to what i can
do by using the library and internet.

Did I become the best in anything... No. It was for improvement of my
personal life.

yep. it is very hard for me to do things with
music/guitar, but i like that challenge.

as we say around here, "it's a good life
if you don't weaken."

songbird