Old 29-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Drobium Drobium is offline
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
I was given two medium-sized Agave plants. Looks like they were just
cut off the main plant. Anything special I need to do when planting?
What kind of conditions do they like? I'm assuming desert-like, but
welcome your advice. Also, should I assume that they are slow-
growing?

Tx for any help.

HB
Very well drained soil based compost with around 1/3 added sharp sand.
Put some slow release fertiliser such as growmore, and let dry out between waterings.
They need full sun and cannot tolerate frost for any length of time so it would be better to find a frost free place for them in the winter, during which time they should be left dry and unwatered to prevent rotting.

They are pretty easy to grow, just don't overwater!!! that's the main thing!
Yay! it's spring!