Old 29-06-2011, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_3_] Pete C[_3_] is offline

Default Carpets on allotments or no carpets?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Rajinder Nijjhar" wrote

Our Council does not encourage people to use carpets for weed killing and
want us to buy the black sheet instead.

Some one has bought it and he has to put weights to prevent it from
flying away.

Carpets do not let the soil dry quick and it is a better week killer than
he black sheet.

Just wants to know why these Councils do not let us do what we think is
best but force their wills.

Because people leave them on their plots for weeds to grow through, which
they will eventually do, and then it's a very difficult job for the next
gardener to get rid of it. Because unless you know where the carpet came
from it may contain various chemicals, insect killers, cleaning chemicals,
not good for the soil. My pet hate is it looks a complete mess and why
would you want to cover your soil, it's for growing things in.

My Council L B Bexley, has now banned carpet from plots for exactly the
reasons you mention.

Pete C
SE London
--