Old 29-06-2011, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default anyone recognise this leaf?

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
"Ragnar" wrote ...

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wroteI came across what appeared to be a
self-sown sapling in a wooded
ravine. It was too shaded for photography, but I was to place a leaf in
a shaft of light so at least I got a photograph of that. Anyone
recognise it?

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Leaf01.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Leaf02.jpg
-- Stewart Robert Hinsley

One of the rarer Oaks I think. Possibly Lucombe Oak.
http://www.keele.ac.uk/arboretum/tre...ts/lucombeoak/

Looks like it and it fits the description but do they seed around
successfully?

I'd looked at illustrations of the leaves of Quercus x hispanica
(Lucombe oak - cerris x suber) and Quercus x turneri (Turner's oak -
ilex x robur), and it didn't seem to match either. (Both seemed to have
triangular, forwards-pointing teeth/lobes, and were less obviously
mucronate.)

However looking further around the web I find that Quercus x hispanica
leaf shape is variable, and this does fall within its range of
variation.

http://www.oaknames.org/search/fullname.asp?id=1376

Googling leaves me the impression the Quercus x hispanica does produce
viable seed, and Quercus x turneri doesn't.

Quercus cerris also turns out to be variable, with suspected cerris x
robur hybrids turning out to be cerris, but I doubt that it varies that
far.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley