Old 29-06-2011, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Anyone have the flying ants invasion yesterday?

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:04:30 +0100, Phil Cook

On 2011-06-28 18:39:44 +0100, "Bob said:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote ..

Phil Cook wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Phil Cook wrote:

There are poisons that kill whole colonies.

Generally available?

http://www.vitax.co.uk/index.php/area/pest-control/ants-crawling-insects/nippon-ant-killer-liquid/

or

http://tinyurl.com/6l9sgkt

I never found it particularly effective. Certainly didn't
eradicate them.

I found it had to be fresh Nippon liquid, even if it had just been in
the shop for a while it seems to loose it's killing power.

Whenever I've used Nippon I always had the impression the ants threw a party!

That's the point. it's a sugar syrup with a poison in it that the
foragers take back to the nest and feed to the other ants. It helps to
remove all other food sources so they are just getting the special stuff.

I think the poison is borax. I've found it a bit hit-and-miss: I
wonder if there's more skill and savvy involved in using it than meets
the eye.

--
Mike.