Old 29-06-2011, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default How do you weed?

On Jun 27, 10:44*am, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
"Laura Corin" wrote in message

Ludicrous question, I know, but I keep trying different techniques and
I'm not sure what makes sense. *If you are weeding between
shrubs/perennials:

- do you pull up weeds, fork them up or hoe them?
- if you hoe, how do you deal with a very loose, previously mulched
surface, where the hoe just pushes the weeds around, rather than cutting
them off?
- do you spray deep-rooted perennials or try to dig them up again and
again?
- do you compost your annual weeds? *If so, how do you identify/separate
perennials for the bin?
- how meticulous are you in your weeding? *Do you get up every last tiny
weed, and does doing that make a real difference to regrowth?
- do you mulch to reduce regrowth? *If so, what do you use and how much
reduction do you get?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Laura

I am an untidy and lazy gardener, we do very little weeding during the
summer hoping that the winter work and mulch will keep things under control.
Deep rooted stuff like bind weed gets squirted with roundup early in the
season before all the other plants cover over, all other weeding is
conducted with a glass of wine in one hand (this stops a quick pull up of
about to seed weeds turning into a 2 hour work up)
I never ever dig any part of the garden
I never ever take away any weeds I pull up I just leave them on the surface.
We do wander around the garden everyday and deal with any weeds straight
away before they seed.
Here weeding is a very minor job and certainly occupies very little of the
time. Find away to reduce grass cutting and I would love to hear from you! I
have my 1 acre down to 40 mins but that's every week and I resent the time
spent

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvshttp://www.roselandhouse.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

Mine is rather similar without the wine. I did though ensure a clean
start when we moved here by fallowing and spraying in the first season
while moving in, building the workshop etc.
A walk around the garden with pauses to pull up a few seedlings a
couple of times a day and probably about every 10 days or so, a check
for any remnants of bindweed and for any remnants of the oxalis that
came in with some topsoil.
Hoeing is kept to a minimum because I like to encourage some of my
plants to self sow, it's easier to control things by hand weeding if
they've not got too much out of hand.
'Lurkers' get pulled whenever they're found. So it's all fairly
painless.You've probably gathered by now that it's fairly densly
planted so there isn't much bare soil showing anyway.
As for reducing mowing - well - " Off to the garden centre, I'm just
going to make one more 'last' new border over there luv ;~))"
I also made sure the new mower was big enough to keep mowing down to
well under an hour per week.

Rod