Old 29-06-2011, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Ornamental knotweed

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:55:15 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"clive" wrote in message
Hi

I'd like to get some Japanese Knotweed as an ornamental plant for the
garden.

I know people have run into difficulties if they let it get out of
control, so to forestall any problems I'd plan to grow it in a large pot,
or possibly a raised bed.

Besides making sure it doesn't set seed and pruning regularly to keep it
in check, are there any other gotchas to bear in mind?

Where are you going to source this plant?

Pertinent question: as others have said in the thread, there's no
lawful way of getting it. I don't see the attraction myself, though:
it _is_ actually a handsome plant, but it's herbaceous, so even before
it broke the pot and rooted in the ground, it would be a non-feature
for nearly half the year. One of the really attractive bamboos would
provide the tall "stemmy" look, and do so all the year round.

--
Mike.