Old 29-06-2011, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default How do you weed?

On Jun 26, 4:45*pm, Laura Corin Laura.Corin.
wrote:
Ludicrous question, I know, but I keep trying different techniques and
I'm not sure what makes sense. *If you are weeding between
shrubs/perennials:

- do you pull up weeds, fork them up or hoe them?
- if you hoe, how do you deal with a very loose, previously mulched
surface, where the hoe just pushes the weeds around, rather than cutting
them off?
- do you spray deep-rooted perennials or try to dig them up again and
again?
- do you compost your annual weeds? *If so, how do you identify/separate
perennials for the bin?
- how meticulous are you in your weeding? *Do you get up every last tiny
weed, and does doing that make a real difference to regrowth?
- do you mulch to reduce regrowth? *If so, what do you use and how much
reduction do you get?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Laura

--
Laura Corin

The best thing to do with weeds among permanent plants (eg shrubs) is
to put down a mulch to prevent them.
I put down shredded hedge clippings. Lasts about a year before it
needs renewing.