Old 30-06-2011, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

On 6/29/2011 7:30 PM, James Nipper wrote:
I have a vacation property in the mountains, of about six acres, two
acres of which are cleared and developed. I have areas away
from the house area in which I need water access for watering
plants, flowers, etc. Ideally, I would love to have about three
faucets in areas that are up to about 400 feet away from the house.

I can purchase 500 to 600 feet of hoses, and with the use of "T's" add
several branches (hoses) to allow me to water in several
selected areas. But, if I use high quality hoses, this would be
pretty expensive, and it all seems so "temporary."

I am wondering if it would be more economical to run a main line of
about 500 feet, using some sort of plastic pipe (cannot remember the
name of the current most common), and then run my hose branches from
that ? (The main line would have to lay on the ground, through the
woods). Whatever I use, I need to be able to drain the line
during winters, but I suppose I could get fittings for this equipped
with a drain screw or valve or something. Any ideas of what I should look
for, or use ? Any general ideas of
how to accomplish what I am trying to do ?

It would help to know what water volume, how often, and what climate.
If you'e on a well your system may not be capable of raising water
very high so it would help to know your topography. Six acres is not
very much area, if essentially square then the distance from center to
the perimeter is not very far. If there is a centrally located high
point you might consider erecting a tank, either on the ground or on a
tower... fill the tank with a pump and let gravity work with hose(s)
to reach your various watering points. Personally for watering a few
plants here and there I'd fit a wagon with a tank and with a tractor
tow the water wagon to whatever needs watering... that is exactly how
I water my plants... if you ever tried to drag a couple of hundred
feet of hose, especially filled with water you'd soon give that up.
And attempting to bury pipe in forested/raw land without heavy
excavating equipment is practically impossible.