Old 30-06-2011, 06:47 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Bill[_21_] Bill[_21_] is offline

Default Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

"James Nipper" wrote in message
net...
I have a vacation property in the mountains, of about six acres, two
acres of which are cleared and developed. I have areas away from the
house area in which I need water access for watering plants, flowers,
etc. Ideally, I would love to have about three faucets in areas that
are up to about 400 feet away from the house.

I can purchase 500 to 600 feet of hoses, and with the use of "T's"
add several branches (hoses) to allow me to water in several
selected areas. But, if I use high quality hoses, this would be
pretty expensive, and it all seems so "temporary."

I am wondering if it would be more economical to run a main line of
about 500 feet, using some sort of plastic pipe (cannot remember the
name of the current most common), and then run my hose branches from
that ? (The main line would have to lay on the ground, through the
woods). Whatever I use, I need to be able to drain the line
during winters, but I suppose I could get fittings for this equipped
with a drain screw or valve or something.

Any ideas of what I should look for, or use ? Any general ideas of
how to accomplish what I am trying to do ?

Go to your local hardware store, find an old guy, then tell him what
you want to do. He can show you what is available there in the store
and give you suggestions.