Old 30-06-2011, 12:38 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Elbrecht View Post
I know you're going to say it is a mulberry-- but my wife is quite sure it isn't.

Looks like a tree, not a bush. There are no thorns. Berries are
tasty & look like blackberries. Leaves are like oak leaves.

Zone 5ish in New York. [Schenectady county]

We have a black mulberry & I showed her a branch. Nope-- the leaves
are wrong, and the berries aren't quite right.
Probably a red mulberry then. Red mulberries (Morus rubra) have quite variable leaf shapes, from nearly round to deeply lobed like black mulberry, as can be seen if you google images for it. The one shown on Wikipedia Morus rubra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
is a bit oak-tree leaf like. Despite the name, red mulberry fruits are black when ripe.

I think if there was another Z5-hardy tree with tasty blackberry-like berries, aside from the two kinds of black-fruited mulberry, I would know about it, because I've done a lot of research into tasty things I can grow. See this site. Plant Uses