Old 30-06-2011, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Cucumber seedlings from nurseries

Paul M. Cook wrote:

Since I lost my cucumbers again I decided to try some seedlings this time.
Went to Lowes. I found the variety I always like to grow but the pots each
had 4 seedlings in them. They looked pretty healthy but I am not sure if
they would thrive. What does one do, just break them apart, cut them apart,
maybe soak them to rinse off the soil and tease them apart? I've read and
experienced that cucurbits are sensitive to root damage. But I cannot see
buying a single pot with 4 seedlings just to destroy three of them as some
have suggested elsewhere.

you can try to tease them apart, but it being
so late that kind of damage is likely going to
set the plants even further behind even if they
survive.

so you are at the point where you plant them
and then give them a week to get going and when
you notice them crowding you pinch off the
weakest two or three.

while you are at it i'd also replace the top
layer of soil in the planters.

songbird