Old 30-06-2011, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil Gurr Phil Gurr is offline

Default When to cut wild flower garden

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I have left quite a large area of my garden uncut to encourage wild
flowers. This has,I think, been quite successful. Now I know these should
be cut, then the spoil allowed to dry off before removing. However when
should the cutting be done please?

Wild flower meadows are traditionally cut at the end of August to produce
what is known as 'lammas hay'. The cutting of road verges by councils in
May, eventually kills all of the taller growing wild flowers. This has led
to a dramatic decline in the numbers of the Orange Tip butterfly, the
caterpillars of which feed on the seed pods of 'Jack by the Hedge' (Mustard
and Garlic).

Phil