Old 28-06-2011, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default Queer Zucchini ?

echinosum wrote:
Snag;927807 Wrote:
I'm startin' to wonder f I got a batch of gay zucchini seeds . The
flowers are all male ... so far .

As already explained, it isn't unusual for them to produce a few male
flowers to start with. But if the plants aren't very happy, they
carry on producing only male flowers. If you have the plants too
close together, this happens. They like to be at least 2 feet away
from the next plant.

--
echinosum

They seem plenty happy to me ... growing very well , spreading out and the
leaves are well formed . I think it might be partly the unseasonable heat
we've been experiencing here in Memphis . At any rate , the zukes and
cantalopes are all spaced about 30" apart . I had stuff way too crowded last
year , so I quadrupled the garden area this year .
'Maters are all doing well too , most of the indeterminates have blossoms
now , with the exception of the cherry tomatoes which were planted late .
I'll never use those little peat pellets again , they just don't work well
for me . Next year it'll probably be potting soil in paper egg cartons ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps