Old 02-07-2011, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Blackberry tree?

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I know you're going to say it is a mulberry-- but my wife is quite
sure it isn't.

She saw it today at a patient's house. [she's a traveling nurse].

She says the top branches were way too high for her to reach and the
lady said she used to keep it trimmed but hasn't been well enough to
keep it contained recently.

Looks like a tree, not a bush. There are no thorns. Berries are
tasty & look like blackberries. Leaves are like oak leaves.

Zone 5ish in New York. [Schenectady county]

We have a black mulberry & I showed her a branch. Nope-- the leaves
are wrong, and the berries aren't quite right.

Well-- she went to the patient's house again today. The patient
gladly gave her a branch so I could identify it.

It is, as we all suspected, a Mulberry. The berries are much
smaller than the ones on my tree--- but they taste good! Mine are
huge, but a sickly sweet with little flavor- these are a bit tart and
tastier to me.

The leaves on this one are mostly deeply lobed where you really have
to search our tree to find the deeply lobed leaves. Our tree [a
15-20 yr old volunteer] is about 20 feet tall [and I prune it heavily
every few years] which is a lot taller than this lady's tree,
according to my wife.

Thanks to all for your replies-- I was so looking forward to a real
blackberry tree. Darn it.

Jim