Old 02-07-2011, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Poppy seed

Pete C wrote:
I have a couple of seed heads from a poppy growing wild on a vacant plot
near mine. Can I grow poppys from this, if so, how?

How isn't the question, how to stop them is the question! They'll
self-seed, or just take the thing where you want it to grow. Probably want
to wait for it to dry on the stalk first. If you're worried about losing
the seeds, put a bag over it to catch them, but mostly I find the seeds stay
in for ages once the holes open up, so you can catch it whenever.

Our allotment is full of the damned things after hte boys sprinkled seeds
last year. :-(