Old 02-07-2011, 07:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pat Pat is offline

Default Frogs not breeding

We have a fishless pond devoted to frogs, to give them a place to breed and
for the tadpoles to develop. This year for the first time since I started
this frog-support operation, there have been zero frog eggs. Plenty of frogs
gather around the pond every night and sing their little hearts out, but no
eggs. Normally we've got tadpoles starting to develop legs by this time of
year.

I heard from a friend in another state that the same thing has been going on
with his frog set-up this year.

I am stumped trying to understand why the frogs are not breeding. Does
anyone here have an idea what the cause could be? Are you seeing the same
phenomenon?