Old 03-07-2011, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default How transplant plant Agave

On Jun 29, 11:44*am, Drobium
wrote:
Higgs Boson;928046 Wrote:

I was given two medium-sized Agave plants. *Looks like they were just
cut off the main plant. Anything special I need to do when planting?
What kind of conditions do they like? *I'm assuming desert-like, but
welcome your advice. *Also, should I assume that they are slow-
growing?

Tx for any help.

HB

Very well drained soil based compost with around 1/3 added sharp sand.
Put some slow release fertiliser such as growmore, and let dry out
between waterings.
They need full sun and cannot tolerate frost for any length of time so
it would be better to find a frost free place for them in the winter,
during which time they should be left dry and unwatered to prevent
rotting.

They are pretty easy to grow, just don't overwater!!! that's the main
thing!

Thanks, pal. We don't have frost -- this is So Calif coastal -- a
Mediterranean climate. Trust me, anything I don't have to water a lot
is welcome; water is very expensive in this (basically desert) area.
Mywater bill shoots up dramatically come June.

Temps do not go below 40-ish at night at the "coldest" portion of the
"winter". So I assume I can just leave them in the ground, awaiting
the Spring?

"Sharp sand", I never heard the term before. Here's what I found:

Sharp sand, also known as builders' sand, refers to sand that has a
gritty texture. This type of sand is often mixed with concrete for a
number of different construction applications. Sharp sand can also be
added to soil in order to create potting soil or to loosen clay soil.
In most instances, this type of sand is made from ground quartz rocks.

On occasion, clay and iron may be mixed with quartz rocks in order to
create a sharper type of sand. Landscapers and construction workers
may use these shards as a base for laying pavement, mixing mortar,
dressing lawns, and smoothing floors. Sharp sand also fills most
hourglasses, since it is coarse enough to flow through the glass, but
fine enough to fit through the connecting portion of an hourglass.

While sharp sand is not ideal for any kind of play area, it is perfect
for most garden spaces. Sharp sand allows garden soil to drain with
ease, which is not the case with fine sand. Since sand that has jagged
edges will not prevent water from passing through it, this kind of
sand is often the sand of choice amongst professional gardeners".

Wonder if I really need this? My soil is "locker" -- a German word
for loose and friable -- after decades of conditioning the original
alkaline clay with amendments.

My usual transplant mix is: Regular dirt, compost*, worm castings,
ammonium sulfate, and that white stuff-- name escapes me-- that makes
space in the soil.

* Our city periodically offers free compost on a come & get it basis.
Lovely, dark, fine stuff. I usually take home 3-4 bags worth.

HB

--
Drobium