Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default How transplant plant Agave

On Jul 3, 6:22*am, songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

My usual transplant mix is: *Regular dirt, compost*, worm castings,
ammonium sulfate, and that white stuff-- name escapes me-- that makes
space in the soil.

* perlite? *fluffed up silicon.

Yup -blanked out on that one!

* Our city periodically offers free compost on a come & get it basis.
Lovely, dark, fine stuff. I usually take home 3-4 bags worth.

* i wish i could trust it to be clean enough. *lately i'm only taking organics
from people i know.

I do take your point. But so far, no untoward consequences from City
compost. This is a fairly "green" city, so I'd like to hope they
wouldn't include **** in their composing process. If you live in a
city that might be r esponsive to the idea, maybe suggest that they do
the same. Could be they haven't thought of it.

Ours also offers, periodically, heavy-duty shredding, for massive
amounts of documents --much more than even a powerful home/office
shredder could handle.
(Note to self: Great to keep this stuff out of landfills, but I must
call the City and ask what they do with the shredded results...)

HB

HB

* songbird